You can enable and configure network bandwidth throttling for clients (including MediaAgents) and client groups.
Note: If you want to configure throttling for subclients or storage policy copies, see Network Bandwidth Throttling: Operations.
Before You Begin
Review the following considerations for MediaAgents:
- MediaAgents act as a data hub for backup operations. Therefore, setting throttling on a MediaAgent is an efficient way to set throttling for the traffic to and from all the clients that use the MediaAgent.
- In the context of this procedure, a MediaAgent is considered a client, since throttling is a client-level property even on a MediaAgent computer.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computer Groups or Client Computers, right-click the client or client_group, and then click Properties.
- In the properties dialog box, click Network.
- In the Network Properties dialog box, click the Network Throttle tab and select Enable Network Throttling.
By default, the All clients share allocated bandwidth check box is selected. This setting throttles across all selected clients cumulatively. If you clear this check box, each client throttles at the rate you configure instead of a combined-and-shared rate.
- In the Remote Clients or Client Group area, expand Client Computer Groups and/or Client Computers, then select one or more groups or computers. Important: The remote clients you select here are those that traffic will be throttled to and from, when communicating with the group or computer that you are configuring.
- Click Add to set a schedule and throttling rate.
- In Days of week, select one or more days for the throttling rate to be in effect.
- In Time Interval, select Whole Day, or clear that option and enter a Start Time and an End Time for the throttling rate to be in effect.
- Under Throttling Rate, click one of these options:
- Use Absolute Throttling
- Throttle Relative to bandwidth
- To set a sending rate threshold, select If send bandwidth is less than (Kbps), then enter a threshold and a percentage to reduce the sending rate to if that threshold is crossed.
- To set a receiving rate threshold, select If receive bandwidth is less than (Kbps), then enter a threshold and a percentage to reduce the receiving rate to if that threshold is crossed.
If you select this throttling option, select Throttle Send and/or Throttle Receive, then enter values appropriate for each option that you selected. Sending and receiving will be limited to those speeds, regardless of available bandwidth.
This feature lets you enter a threshold and throttling percentage.
Enter these parameters as follows:
For more information, see How Relative Bandwidth Throttling Works.
- Click OK to save the new throttling rule, which then appears in the Throttling Schedule area.
- Click OK repeatedly until all dialogs have closed.
- Push the firewall configuration to the client as described in Pushing Firewall Configurations.