Media Prediction Report
The Media Prediction Report displays the anticipated media that is required by operations performed within the entire CommCell. Also displayed in the report is information about media that is required per individual backup set, instance, or subclient.
You can use the Media Prediction Report to review information regarding media needs for the entire CommCell. This report is useful if you need to know:
- Media requirements on an enterprise-wide scale
- Whether media required by an operation is available in the library, especially for restoring/recovering data across a firewall
- Resource conflicts where the media is used by more than one operation
- Where to find a copy that accesses a faster disk media rather than slower tape/optical media, so that you can then restore/recover from it
- Where to find media that has been replaced, or changed to meet updated system requirements, or consolidated to efficiently manage media
- A list of attributes for the media used by the secondary copy and the amount of data yet to be copied
This report presents the data in the following sections:
|Media|| This table provides information about media that is available within the CommCell. Information displayed in the table includes:
You can generate the default version of any CommCell Report on demand in the CommCell Console.
Before You Begin
- Your CommCell user account requires a role with the Report Management permission.
- To view report data for an entity, your CommCell user account must have an association with that entity.
For more information on users, permissions, and associations, see User Administration and Security - Overview.
- On the CommCell Console ribbon, select the Reports tab, and then click Other Reports > Media Prediction.
- In the Report Selection dialog box, select any of the available options.
- Click Run.
The report appears in your default Web browser.
- In the CommCell Console, select the Reports tab, and then on the ribbon, click the button for the report that you want to schedule.
The Report Selection dialog box appears.
- Configure the report as needed.
- In the Report Selection dialog box, click Schedule.
- On the Schedule Pattern tab, in the Schedule Name box, enter a name for the schedule.
- Select the interval at which you want the report to run: One Time, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly.
- In the Start Time box, type the time of day when you want the report generation to begin.
- Under Repeat, specify the exact times and days that you want the report to run.
- Click Ok.
You can further customize the report by using the tabs that are available in the Report Selection dialog box. The following table describes the available report options for this report.
|General|| You can select the type of job for which you want to display media resource information.
|Computers|| This tab is available only when you select the Data Recovery or Synthetic Full option from the General tab.
You can set the report to display information for all computers from the CommCell or select individual clients with the Modify option. You can set the report to include all agent types in the CommCell, or select individual agent types with the Modify option.
|Storage Policy|| This tab is available only when you select the Auxiliary Copy, Content Indexing, Data Verification, or Media Refreshing option from the General tab.
You can set the report to display information for all storage policies in the CommCell or select individual storage policies.
|Time Range|| This tab is available only when you select the Data Recovery option from the General tab. You can select Latest Data or include information another time period.
You can choose to include information from a specific time range in the report.
You can set the report output to appear in one of several formats and save it to a variety of locations. Set any of the following options:
The following table describes additional operations that you can perform with the reports feature:
|Saving the Report Output||
You can save the report output to a specified location.
The report opens in the file format that you specified and a copy of the report is saved to the location that you entered.
|Saving a Report as a Template||
You can save the report settings as a template in the CommCell Console, and then run the report at any time.
|Generating a Report from a Template||
You can generate a report from a template at any time.
|Modifying a Report Template||
|Cloning a Report Template||
|Deleting a Report Template||
|Setting a Report Alert|| This option allows users or user groups to get an automatic notification when a report is created. Follow the steps given below to set up the criteria to raise notifications/alerts:
||Refer to Alerts.|
|Saving a Report as a Script||
The Command Line Interface allows you to generate reports from the command line. The commands can be executed from the command line or can be integrated into scripts. You can generate command line scripts for specific operations in the CommCell Console by using the Save As Script option.
To create an XML script that generates a report:
The Save As Script and the Saved Reports dialog boxes close.
|Refer to Command Line Interface.|