Prerequisites for Automatically Setting Up the ScaleOut Storage Pool
Ensure that the server on which you plan to install the MediaAgent and the ScaleOut Storage Pool adheres to the following:
- The server has the Solid State Drives (SSD). For more information about the SSD specifications see, Hardware Specifications for Deduplication Partitioned Mode.
- To achieve disk level redundancy and for better performance, we recommend to have “Non-RAID” on spindle disks for storage. However, if there is already a hardware RAID card in the server, you must bypass the RAID card and configure them as independent physical disks.
- Ensure that 10 GigE network card must be used for ScaleOut Storage Pool communication.
- For creating or scaling out the ScaleOut Storage Pool, we recommend to use the same size disk.
- Ensure that the underscore "_" special character is not used in any MediaAgent or ScaleOut Storage Pool name.
- Each MediaAgent node must have two NIC cards.
- One NIC card is used for SnapProtect communication and the IP address associated with the NIC card must resolve to the host name used for SnapProtect communication.
- The other NIC card is used for storage pool communication and the IP address associated with the NIC card must resolve to the host name used for SnapProtect communication with sds suffix.
For example: If the IP address associated with NIC used for SnapProtect communication resolves to hostname scaleout1, the IP address associated with NIC used for storage pool communication will resolve to scaleout1sds.
What to do Next
After you have arranged for the prerequisites, see Automatic Configuration Method to convert a bare metal server into a Storage Pool appliance.