Automatic Configuration Method
You can use the automatic configuration method, if you have a bare metal server and you want to set it up as a storage pool appliance.
The process flow for automatically setting up the ScaleOut Storage Pool involves the following tasks in the order listed:
- Ensure that you have all the prerequisites configured. For more information see, Prerequisites for Automatically Setting Up the ScaleOut Storage Pool.
- Download the DVD from the cloud location as follows:
- Open a Web browser, and then go to https://cloud.commvault.com.
- Click Member Login and in the Cloud Services window, enter the user name and password, and then click Login.
- Download the latest version of ScaleOutStorage-VxSPy.iso.
Where: x is the latest SnapProtect version and y and is the latest Service Pack version.
For Example: For SnapProtect V11 and Service Pack 4 it will be ScaleOutStorage-V11SP4.iso.
Note: For Red Hat 7.x distributions, you must create the Software Defined Storage (SDS) ISO image. For information, see Creating a Bootable DVD with Software Defined Storage (SDS) ISO image.
- Boot the server with the downloaded installation DVD.
Important: While booting the server, the SSD drives are automatically detected and used for the operating system and the deduplication database partitions. However, if no SSD drive is detected while booting the server, the system will prompt you to select the drives for the operating system and the deduplication database partitions.
- After imaging, when prompted, remove the DVD and reboot the server. Type root in the Username box and cvadmin in the Password box.
- Skip this step if you have dynamic IP addresses. For static IP addresses, configure the network and register with the CommServe and go to Step 8. For more information see, Configuring Network for Static IP Addresses and Registering to the CommServe.
- Verify that all the MediaAgent that will become part of StoragePool should be able to resolve the IP address associated with data protection network and StoragePool network.
- Register the appliance with the CommServe by typing the following command on the MediaAgent node.
- After all the MediaAgent nodes are registered, verify the default configurations. For more information see, Verifying the Default Configurations.
Important: You must configure at least 3 MediaAgent nodes to configure a Storage Pool. However, you can use the Nodes per block additional setting to change this value as per your requirement.
- On the CommCell Console, by default 5% of the total disk space or 2 TB (which ever is lower) is set as the Reserve Space on the Mouth Path Properties > Allocation Policy tab
For example: If you have 100 TB of disk storage, 2 TB will be reserved.
- Associate the auto created storage policy with subclients and perform client backups.
For more information on how to run backups, see the documentation for the specific agent.
[root@machine_namefs2 MediaAgent]# pwd
[root@machine_namefs2 MediaAgent]# ./registertocs.py
usage: ./registertocs.py -uname <commserve login name> -passwd <commserve password> -client <client> hostname -commserve <commserver hostname>