Relocate MediaAgent Workflow
Relocate MediaAgent is a pre-built workflow that relocates the MediaAgent and the associated configurations (such as Storage Policy, Disk Library, and Index Cache) to a new computer that has a different name. For example, you might want to move the MediaAgent to a computer that has more disk space or a faster processor.
This workflow assumes that the following conditions are true.
- Old MediaAgent is online and functional
- Old MediaAgent is configured with one disk library and one storage policy
- LAN-speed connectivity exists between the two MediaAgents
- Old MediaAgent is added or available in a user-created client group
The predefined workflow automates the following operations:
- Records the disk library and the client group name associated with the old MediaAgent.
- Installs the MediaAgent software on the new computer, and adds the new MediaAgent to the recorded client group.
- Populates the software cache and installs the updates on the new MediaAgent.
- Records the options enabled on the old MediaAgent/Library/Mount Path properties and enables those options on the new MediaAgent/Library/Mount Path properties.
- Configures the Index Cache path and copies the old index cache content to the new index cache directory.
- Creates a new disk library on the new MediaAgent.
- Creates a new storage policy copy for the new MediaAgent with the new disk library.
- Associates primary copy as a source to the newly created copy and performs Auxiliary Copy job to copy the backed up data from primary copy to a newly created copy.
- When the Auxiliary Copy job is complete, the following components or processes are disabled:
- The data management activities on the recorded client group.
- The primary copy.
- The old disk library.
- The new storage policy copy is promoted as the primary copy.
- The old MediaAgent is marked offline and the data management activities on the client group are enabled.
Prior to running the workflow, ensure that you have completed the following tasks:
- Verify that the Remote Software Cache is configured and valid on the old MediaAgent.
Remote Software Cache is used to host the software packages, that are required during the workflow process to install the SnapProtect software on the new computer.
For more information, see Setting Up a Remote Cache.
- Verify that the latest SnapProtect media kit and Service Pack are available in the old MediaAgent software cache directory. If they are not available in the software cache directory, download the software packages and service packs from the FTP site.
- On the ribbon of the CommCell® Console, click the Tools tab and then click Add/Remove Software.
- Click Download Software.
- Select the Download Updates and Download Packages check boxes, and click OK.
- Record the associated Storage Policies.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources | MediaAgents.
- Right-click the old MediaAgent, and then click Properties.
- Click the Associated Storage Policies tab and record the listed Storage Policies.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Workflows.
- Download the workflow Relocate MediaAgent from the Software Store by following the instructions in Download Workflows from Software Store.
- Right-click Relocate MediaAgent, and click All Tasks > Deploy to deploy the workflow
- Right-click Relocate MediaAgent again, and click All Tasks > Execute to run the workflow.
The Relocate MediaAgent Options dialog box appears.
- Specify the value of the appropriate variables in the Value column.
- For CommCellUsername and CommCellPassword, type the user name and password to log in to the CommCell Console.
- For OldMAClientName, type the name of the old MediaAgent client as displayed in the CommCell Browser.
- For NewMAClientName, type the NETBIOS (short) name of the new MediaAgent.
- For NewMAUserName and NewMANetworkPassword, type the domain user name and password required to access the new MediaAgent.
- For OldMASPName, enter the storage policy associated with the old MediaAgent.
- For NewMAInstallDirectory, enter the folder path where you want to store the software installation files.
- For NewMASWCachePath, enter the folder path where you want to host the software cache.
- For NewMAIndexCachePath, enter the folder path where you want to host the index cache.
- For NewMALibraryName, specify the name for a disk library.
- For OldMALibraryName, specify the name of the disk library that was associated with the old MediaAgent.
- For NewMALibraryPath, enter the name of the file path on the new MediaAgent where the disk library must be hosted.
- For NewMADDBPath, enter the file path on the new MediaAgent where you want to host the DDB for the new storage policy copy.
- Click OK.
- When the workflow is complete, the administrator receives an email on the workflow result.
Perform a restore and backup operations to ensure that the associated configurations (such as Storage Policy, Disk Library, and Index Cache) of the old MediaAgent are migrated successfully to the new MediaAgent and the backed up data is available on the new MediaAgent.
- Perform a test restore to ensure that the data from the library is restored successfully.
Refer to the Agent-appropriate documentation for instructions about how to run restores.
- Perform a test backup to validate the data path to the library on the new MediaAgent.
Refer to the Agent-appropriate documentation for instructions about how to run backups.