CommServe Hardware Refresh: Preparing the Old CommServe Computer for Shutdown
To migrate the CommServe database to a new hardware, you must first prepare the old CommServe computer for shutdown.
- Disable CommCell activities.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe node and then click Properties.
- On the Activity Control tab, clear all the check boxes, except the Enable All Job Activity check box, and then click OK.
This ensures that no new jobs are performed, except for disaster recovery operations, VM provisioning jobs, and workflow jobs. These jobs do not affect the hardware refresh.
From the Job Controller, kill all jobs that are in progress, or wait for the jobs to complete.
- Install the latest SnapProtect Service Pack. For instructions, see Installing the Service Pack Locally on Windows Computers.
- If a MediaAgent is installed on the CommServe computer and you have a disk library with a local mount path, copy the mount path to a location accessible to the new CommServe computer.
For example, if you have a disk library configured with a local mount path in C:\disklib01, copy the entire folder including its contents and subfolders.
For information on moving mount paths, see Moving Mount Paths.
- If you have a deduplication database (DDB), do the following:
If the MediaAgent hosting the DDB is installed in the CommServe, copy the DDB content (CV_SIDB folder and icl_label.txt file) to an accessible location. This location should be accessible to the new CommServe computer.
- If the DDB resides on a separate MediaAgent, no action is required.
- Run a CommServe Disaster Recovery Backup.
From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe node and then click All Tasks > Disaster Recovery Backup.
- On the Disaster Recovery Options dialog box, click OK to run the backup.
The Disaster Recovery backup job may enter the Waiting state after the Backup to Disk phase is complete. This can happen if the DR storage policy is associated to the same MediaAgent where you stopped the services. As a result, the DR backup job is not able to transfer the data to the offline MediaAgent.
In this situation, you can stop the DR backup job after the Backup to Disk phase is complete. However, before you stop the job, verify that the Backup to Disk phase is complete:
- From the Job Controller window, double-click the job.
- To view the status of the different phases in the job, click the Attempts tab on the Job Details dialog box.
- Copy the CommServe Disaster Recovery backup files (set_XXX folder) to an accessible location.
Disaster Recovery backup files are saved to the location specified in the DR Backup Settings dialog box that is available from the Control Panel. Make sure to obtain the latest DR set from this location.
- Verify and, if necessary, note the port number used for reports:
- From the CommCell Console, click the Configuration tab, and then click Email and Web Server.
- Click the Web Server tab.
- The port number is displayed in the Report Default URL box. For example:
If the default port number is changed, make a note of the port number.
- Using the Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), make a note of the port numbers used by the Consoles.
- Make a list of all the SnapProtect packages installed on the CommServe computer.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe and click Properties.
- In the CommCell Properties dialog box, click the Version tab. The packages are listed in the Update status area.
We recommend that you also make a list of hotfixes that you installed, which are displayed in the Version information area.
- If you plan to use different network details, do not shut down the CommServe computer yet. You will perform this operation after the CommServe database is restored and upgraded on the new hardware.
- If you plan to use the same network details, make a note of the IP settings (IP address and DNS) and the computer name, and then shut down the CommServe computer using the following sequence:
- Stop all SnapProtect services.
- Shut down the computer.
- Unplug the network cables.
- If you have a tape library attached to the CommServe, unplug the library from the CommServe computer and plug it in to the new hardware.
If you plan to reuse this computer, complete the following tasks before you activate the computer in the network:
- Uninstall SnapProtect software.
- Change the computer name and IP settings to different values.