Configuring Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) Backups
Applies to: Exchange 2007, and SnapProtect
Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) backups continuously replicate the Exchange database transaction logs that are stored on the active node of a CCR cluster to the passive node.
In the event of failover, the replicated database is made available to users to reduce the frequency of full backups that must be taken, and the volume of backup data and media usage. In addition, a replicated database shortens the time that it takes to recover from failure. No resources are shared, and only one virtual server is used.
Before You Begin
Make sure that your clustered environment has been configured correctly.
- From the CommCell Console, expand Client Computers > client > Exchange Database.
- Right-click Exchange Database, and then click Properties.
The Exchange Database Properties dialog box appears.
- Select the Use VSS check box.
- Select the Backup from replica check box.
- If it is appropriate for your environment and if you intend to use backups from the active node to perform a CCR seeding operation of data to the passive node, select the Backup on active node if passive node is unavailable check box.
Note: When this option is selected, the software attempts to run the backup from the active node if database replication is in a suspended state.
- Click OK.
Subsequent backups for the agent use Volume Copy Shadow Service (VSS) to perform a Shadow Copy backup of the replica database on the passive node of a CCR cluster.