Create New Cleanup Policy (Messages)
Applies to: User Mailbox
Use this dialog box to create a new Exchange cleanup policy. Use the Messages tab to define whether messages are stubbed, and which messages are cleaned up based on their age and size.
- Enable these message rules
- When the check box is selected, the options for message rules become available.
- After Archiving
- Replace message with a stub
When this option is selected, after the messages are archived, attachments are removed from the messages on the Exchange server and a stub is created. End users cannot recall archived messages that are not stubbed.
- Add a recall link to stub body
- When the check box is selected, a link is added to the email message so that users can recall the message from an email client.
- Leave message body in the stub
When the check box is selected, the message body is left in the stubbed message. When the check box is cleared, the message body is not left in the stubbed message.
- Truncate body to n bytes
- You can limit the size of the stubbed message based on the message body length. In this case, the body of the message is kept when it is less than or equal to the length of the maximum value that you set. The maximum value is measured in the number of characters, including spaces.
- Delete messages
- When this option is selected, messages are deleted from the Exchange server after they are archived, but they are not replaced by a stub. End users cannot recall the archived messages.
- Clean up messages that meet this criteria
In this area, you define which messages will be stubbed or deleted from the Exchange server based on their age and size.
Messages that meet both of these criteria are deleted.
- Include messages older than n days
- Messages that are older than the specified number of days (based on the received time) are cleaned up. We recommend that you include messages older than 60 days.
- Include messages larger than n KB
- Messages that are larger than the specified size are cleaned up.
- Include only messages that contain attachments
- When this check box is selected, only messages that include attachments are cleaned up.
- Skip unread messages.
- When this check box is selected, unread messages are not stubbed or deleted.