Create GPFS Client (Storage Device) - Online Help
Use this dialog box to establish the storage device related settings on the selected subclient.
The following tabs are displayed:
Use this tab to select or view storage policy settings of the default subclient.
- Storage Policy
Displays the storage policy to which this subclient is currently associated. To associate a storage policy to a new subclient or to change the storage policy associated with an existing subclient, click one in the list. To enable LAN-free backups and restores, select a grid storage policy.
Note: To enable deduplication for the selected grid storage policy, make sure that all of the library paths are shared.
- Data Paths
- Click to view or modify the data paths associated with the primary storage policy copy of the selected storage policy.
- Number of Data Readers
- Use this space to specify the number of simultaneous backup data streams allowed for this subclient. For best performance, this should be set no higher than the number of physical drives that hold this subclient's data, except for specialized hardware such as RAID.
Use this tab to establish the options for data transfer. Note that all the options described in this help may not be available and only the options displayed in the dialog box are applicable to the agent for which the information is being displayed.
Indicates whether software compression for the subclient or instance is enabled or disabled, and if enabled whether it is performed on the client or MediaAgent computer.
- On Client
- Click to enable software compression on the client computer.
- On MediaAgent
- Click to enable software compression on the MediaAgent computer.
- Use Storage Policy Settings
Click to use the settings enabled on deduplicated storage policy copy.
This option applies when subclient is associated with a storage policy copy that is deduplicated. See Copy Properties (Deduplication) - Advanced tab for compression settings on deduplicated storage policy copy.
- Click to disable software compression.
Note that hardware compression has priority over the software compression. Hardware compression is established in the Data Path Properties dialog box. The above software compression option will take effect when the data path is associated with a disk library, or when hardware compression is disabled in the data path associated with tape libraries.
Note: For non-deduplicated storage policy copy, select On Client or On MediaAgent options to turn on compression, depending upon your environment.
Indicates the processes used by the client to transfer data based and whether bandwidth throttling is enabled or not.
- Network Agents
- Specifies the number of data pipes/processes that the client uses to transfer data over a network. Increasing this value may provide better throughput if the network and the network configuration in your environment can support it. On non-UNIX computers, the default value is 2 and a maximum of 4 can be established if necessary. On UNIX computers the default value is 1 and a maximum of 2 can be established if necessary.
- Throttle Network Bandwidth (MB/HR)
- Specifies whether the backup throughput is controlled or not. (By default this option is not selected and therefore the throughput is not controlled). When selected, use the space to specify a value for the throughput. By default, this is set to 500. The minimum value is 2 and the maximum is 2147483647.
Use this option to set the backup throughput, based on the network bandwidth in your environment. Use this option to reduce the backup throughput, so that the entire network bandwidth is not consumed, especially in slow links. Increasing this value will end up consuming the bandwidth with the maximum throughput limited to the network bandwidth capability.
Note that throttling is done on a per Network Agent basis.
Use this tab to establish the options for deduplication on the subclient.
- Enable Deduplication
Use this option to enable or disable deduplication for the subclient.
When enabled, you can choose to generate the signature (a component of deduplication) on the client or on the MediaAgent computer.
- The deduplication is supported on disk storage devices. Therefore, the deduplication options are applicable only if the subclient is associated with a storage policy containing disk storage.
- For source-side deduplication, the signature generation always occurs on the client.
- On Client
- Click to enable signature generation on the client computer.
- On MediaAgent
- Click to enable signature generation on the MediaAgent computer.
Save As Script
- Click to open the Save As Script dialog, which allows you to save this operation and the selected options as a script file (in XML format). The script can later be executed from the Command Line Interface using qoperation execute command. When you save an operation as a script, each option in the dialog will have a corresponding XML parameter in the script file. When executing the script, you can modify the value for any of these XML parameters as per need.