Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients
Applies to: Oracle and Oracle RAC
Configure the instance to automatically back up the control file for all subclients in that instance. When you enable the control file autobackup feature, RMAN will be able to recover a database even when it cannot access the control and server parameter (SP) files. For more information on control file autobackups, go to the Oracle documentation website, control file autobackup.
The Oracle control file contains the physical database structure and is required for a full system recovery (disaster recovery) scenario. The Oracle SP file contains the database startup parameters.
The Automatic backup of control files option ensures that all changes to the physical database structure are included in a backup.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance and then click Properties.
- On the Details tab of the Instance Properties dialog box:
In the Automatic Backup of Control Files box, select how and when to back up the control file:
- Select Configure On to have the control file and server parameter file written to a separate autobackup piece during a backup. RMAN can recover the database even if the current control file, catalog, and server parameter file are lost.
- Select Configure Off to exclude the control file and SP file from all instance backups.
- Select Not Configure to keep the current setting.
- Click OK to close the Instance Properties dialog box.
You can configure automatic back ups of the control file at the subclient level. For information on enabling the control file automatic backup at the subclient, see Enabling Automatic Backups of the Oracle Control File at the Subclient Level.