Managing Oracle Log Files on a Subclient
Applies to: Oracle and Oracle RAC
Use this procedure to configure the following archive log options for archive log enabled subclients.
- Delete archive redo logs after the backup. You must backup the archive logs before deleting them.
- Disable the log switch for log file subclients. Use a log switch to make the current redo log inactive and available for maintenance.
- Specify the archive log file backup location.
- Specify the locations from where archive logs are deleted from after the backup completes.
Note: The archive delete option on the subclient is ignored when the delete option is selected on the advanced options for the backup job. For more information on configuring the log options for a specific job, see Managing Logs for an Oracle Backup Job.
When you add archivelog destinations in Select an Archive Log Destination for Deletion, the software adds the following line to the RMAN script in order to make sure that only the archivelogs that are backed up at least 1 time, are deleted.
delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 1 times to sbt ;
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the subclient and then click Properties.
- On the Logs Backup tab of the Subclient Properties dialog box, select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- Select one of the following options to delete logs:
Option Deleted archived Redo logs Archive Delete Select this check box to delete the archived logs that were backed up in the subclient.
Note: The SnapProtect software inserts the DELETE INPUT command into the generated RMAN script. This only deletes the specific copy of the archived re-do log for the chosen backup set.
Archive Delete All Select this check box to delete all backed up archived redo logs from all the archiving log destinations.
Note: The SnapProtect software inserts the DELETE ALL INPUT command into the generated RMAN script. This deletes each backed up archived re-do log file from all the archive log destinations.
- Select the Disable Log Switching check box to disable log switching for the current redo log. This option is only available for log subclients.
- To specify the location where the logs are backed up.
- Select the Archive Log Destinations for Backup check box and click Add.
- On the Select an Archive Log Destination dialog box enter the full directory path where backed up archive logs will be stored.
- Click OK to close the Select an Archive Log Destination dialog box.
- To delete archive logs from a particular location after the backup:
- Select the Delete Archive Log Destinations for Deletion check box.
- Click Yes to close the warning message.
- In the Confirmation dialog box, type confirm and click OK and click Add.
- On the Select an Archive Log Destination for Deletion dialog box, enter the full directory path where backup logs are deleted from after the backup completes.
- Click OK to close the Select an Archive Log Destination for Deletion dialog box.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.