Discovering Instances Using the SnapProtect Command Line Interface
Use XML to discover Oracle database instances. Run the operation from the command line, or automate configuration by combining command line operations in a script.
The XML parameters can be included in the XML file, or specified on the command line when they frequently change. See Command Line - Syntax.
About This Task
By default, when you discover or create an Oracle instance, the SnapProtect software automatically creates an archive log subclient. You can disable this feature by setting an additional setting. For more information, see Disabling Automatic Archive Log Subclient Creation.
You can configure the data and log storage policies when you manually or automatically discover instances (Agent Properties dialog box, Data Storage Policy list, Log Storage Policy list, General tab). The SnapProtect software assigns these storage policies to all instances and default subclients that you discover.
By default, the command line storage policy is set to the agent data storage policy.
The log storage policy is assigned to the Oracle instance.
The SnapProtect software assigns the data storage policy to the default subclients by looking at the following configured items:
- The storage policy configured for the Oracle Agent (Data Storage Policy list, Log Storage Policy list, General tab)
- The storage policies that are configured for a previously discovered Oracle instance (Instance Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Log Backup tab, Storage Policy used for all archive log backup list)
- The storage policy for the File System Agent default agent for the default backup set (Subclient Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Data Storage Policy tab, Storage Policy list)
On the Oracle Agent host:
- Run the qlogin command to log on to the CommServe computer.
- Download the DiscoverInstance_Template.xml file and save it on the computer from where the command is executed.
- Open the DiscoverInstance_Template.xml file, add your specific parameters and save the file.
For information on supported instance XML parameters, see Available XML Parameters for Oracle Instance Configuration.
- On the command line, go to the Software_Installation_Directory/Base, and type the command.
qoperation execute -af DiscoverInstance_Template.xml -clientName '<client_name>'
- Once the job completes, run the qlogout command to log off the CommServe computer.
What to Do Next
- Modify the Oracle Instance with the following updates:
- Add a Command Line Storage Policy when the File System Agent has not been installed.
- Specify the Oracle Home and TNS Admin directories
- Specify the Oracle Connect String
- Specify the Catalog Connect
- Disable the RMAN crosscheck
- Turn on the control file autobackup
- Configure Subclients for Oracle.