Configuring Subclients for Oracle Archive Log Backups
You use archive logs backups to recover database transactions that have been lost due to an operating system or disk failure or to recover lost database transactions.
You apply the archive logs to an online backup to recover the database.
Create separate subclients to backup log files because they are mandatory for recovering data.
You can create an automatic schedule to automatically run a database log backup when specific criteria are met, for example, run a backup when the archive log destination fills up to a specified capacity. For information on how to configure an automatic schedule, see Creating an Automatic Schedule for Database Log Backups.
About This Task
By default, when you discover or create an Oracle instance, the SnapProtect software automatically creates an archive log subclient. You can disable this feature by setting an additional setting. For more information, see Disabling Automatic Archive Log Subclient Creation.
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient Name box, enter a name for the subclient.
- When you have not enabled control files as part of all subclient backups, on the Content tab, clear the Data check box and then select the Backup Control File check box.
If the automatic control file backup is configured for subclients, the SnapProtect software adds AUTO BACKUP CONTROLFILE ON to the backup script. For more information, see Enabling Automatic Backups of the Oracle Control File at the Subclient Level.
- On the Log Backups tab, select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, select the storage policy name for the log backups.
Note: You must provide a storage policy even though the log backups do not use the subclient storage policy. Log backups always use the storage policy that you define for the Oracle instance (Instance Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Log Backup tab, Storage Policy used for all Archive Log backups).
- Optional: Manage log file backup options, see Managing Oracle Log Files on a Subclient.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Advanced tab, select the Backup Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. See supported Oracle tag variables.
Have the SnapProtect software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Advanced tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.
- Click OK to close the Creating New Subclient dialog box.