Configuring Oracle Subclients for Offline Backups
Configure the Oracle subclient to perform a full backup of the Oracle database when it is offline. Full backups include all datafiles, tablespaces, and the Oracle database control file (SP file of pfile). Offline backups do not include the archived log files.
You can perform offline backups when the database is in either offline or online mode.
When the Oracle database status is in online (or OPEN) mode, the database is shut down and brought back online after the backup completes.
You can use the Oracle lights-out script which runs before the Oracle database is shut down, to perform unattended Oracle backups. Refer to the Oracle manuals for the complete lights-out script configuration. Record the location and name prior to subclient configuration.
Optionally, you can configure the following settings for a subclient:
- Exclude the following data from backups:
- Read-only tablespaces
- Offline tablespaces
- Inaccessible datafiles and archived redo log files
- Assign a unique tag for the backup which you can use to identify the backup during a restore
- Include the control file, which is required to recover the database to the current state, as part of the backup
- Include the SP initialization file
Before You Begin
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Agent.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient Name box, enter a name for the subclient.
- On the Content tab, specify whether the backup is a full backup:
- Select the Data check box.
- Select the Offline Database option.
- If this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Control File and Backup SP File check boxes.
- On the Storage Device tab from the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy that the software uses for data backups.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Advanced tab, select the Backup Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. See supported Oracle tag variables.
Exclude tablespaces from the backup
On the Options tab, select the check boxes to exclude the following tablespaces from the backup.
- Read Only
Configure a lights-out script
On the Offline Databases tab:
- Select the Run Shutdown/Startup Script check box.
- To display a warning message to uses on the physical node, select the Broadcast Warning Message to Users check box.
- In the Delay Time After Warning Message (Min) box, select or type the number of minutes to wait between retry attempts.
- To shut down the database and check for the status, in the Sleep Time Between Retores (Sec) box, select or type the number of seconds that you want the script to wait between retry attempts.
- To shut down the database, in the Tries Number box, type the number of attempts the system makes.
- To connect to the Oracle database, select the Use SQL Connect check box.
Have the SnapProtect software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Advanced tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.