Configuring Oracle Selective Online Full Backups
You perform a selective online full backup when the database is online. A selective online full subclient includes the data, logs and control file. The advantage of a selective online full backup is that the data and logs use the same storage policy, which means that they reside on the same media and are self-contained for long-term archiving. You can use this in a disaster recovery, because you do not need to locate different media from multiple jobs to recover the database.
For more information on selective online full backups, see Selective Online Full Backups.
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Create a Storage Policy.
- Create a Selective Copy for the storage policy.
On the Retention tab:
- Set the Basic Retention Rules For All Backups to use the days and cycle option.
- Set the Basic Retention Rules For Data/Compliance Archiver Data to use the days option.
- Set the Extended Retention Rules for Full Backups to use the days option and to Keep Full Backups.
On the Selective Copy tab:
Set the Automatically select Full Backups at frequency to All Fulls.
- Optional: Run the script below from the SnapProtect install base directory on the CommServe computer, to copy a full cycle of jobs to selective copy.
Qscript -f SelectAdditionalJobs [storage policyName] [copy name] [backup types]
The following are valid values for the backup types:
- 0, disable selection of additional jobs
- 2, include all non-full jobs
qoperation execscript –sn SelectAdditionalJobs.sql –si storage_policy -si storage_policy_copy -si 2
- Optional: Decide if you want the software to force the parallel log backup to use the data storage policy. For more information, see Configuring the Storage Policy for a Parallel Log Backup.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient Name box, enter the subclient name.
- On the Content tab, select the Selective Online Full Backup check box.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy name with the selective copy.
- Click OK to close the Creating New Subclient dialog box.