Changing the Remote BLOB Storage to Another Location
We do not recommend changing the Remote BLOB Storage (RBS) to another location unless absolutely necessary.
You can change the BLOB storage location to meet changing space requirements. Changing to another location involves disabling the current Remote BLOB Storage, migrating the content database and finally enabling the new Remote BLOB Storage.
To change the BLOB storage location, following prerequisites should be met:
- Ensure to have local administrator privileges on the computer where RBS is located.
- Ensure that you have access permission to the RBS location.
- Ensure that you have sufficient permissions to run Windows PowerShell.
- Start the SharePoint Management Shell.
- At the Windows PowerShell command prompt, type the following commands to detach the RBS provider from the content database:
- To migrate BLOBs from the File System to the content database, type the following command:
- From SharePoint Central Administration page, enable SharePoint Storage Manager and specify a new BLOB storage location.
For more information, see Enabling Remote BLOB Storage on Content Databases.
- At the Windows PowerShell command prompt, type the following commands to migrate data to a new location:
$rbs = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings