Backing Up SQL Databases
Before You Begin
Configure the settings mentioned below to back up SQL database in a Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) environment, where the instance name of the Windows Internal Database resembles MachineName\Microsoft##SSEE:
- In the SQL Server Configuration Manager window, click Protocols for MachineName\Microsoft##SSEE. Change the flag for Hide Instance to No.
- In the SQL Server Configuration Manager window, click SQL Server 2005 Services. Ensure that the SQL Server Browser service is running.
- In the SQL Server Configuration Manager window, click Protocols for MachineName\Microsoft##SSEE. Ensure that Named Pipes is enabled.
- To back up full-text indexes for SQL Server 2005, you can use traditional and SnapProtect backups.
- To back up full-text indexes for SQL Server 2008 and later, you can use traditional, SnapProtect and VSS-enabled backups.
- To back up SQL Analysis Services databases, you must first discover Analysis Services instances, and then create subclients from these instances.
- No support for running concurrent full backup and differential backup operations.
- You must back up the master, msdb, and model system databases to restore the SQL Server after a system failure.
- In the CommCell Browser, click Client Computers > client > SQL Server > instance.
- Right-click the subclient, and then click Backup.
The Backup Options for Subclient dialog box is displayed.
- In the Select Backup Type pane, choose the backup type:
- To run a full backup, select Full.
- To run a differential backup, select Differential.
- In the Job Initiation section, choose whether to run the backup job immediately or schedule it.
- Optional: To further customize the backup operation, click Advanced.
- To back up logs immediately after the data backup without creating two scheduled jobs, on the Data tab, select Start Log Backup after Successful Backup.
- To perform an independent backup that does not affect the usual chaining involved in traditional backups, on the Data tab, select Copy Only.
- To include only the primary filegroup in the backup data, on the Data tab, select Partial (Excludes read-only Filegroups).
- To compress the backup data by a SQL Server before running the backup operation, on the Data tab, select Native SQL backup compression.
- To run checksum validation during a backup operation, on the Data tab, select Checksum.
- To ignore errors encountered during a backup operation and complete the job, on the Data tab, select Continue After Error.
- Optional: To be able to run your backup operations from a command line interface, click Save as Script.
For more information, see Command Line Interface.
- Click OK.
If you selected to run the backup job immediately, you can monitor the progress of your backup job in the Job Controller window. For more information, see Job Controller.
After the backup job is complete, you can view the backup job history. For more information, see Job History.
- Only full backup is supported to back up the SQL Analysis Services databases.
- During a backup operation, the Analysis Services databases are staged at the Job Results directory by default. However, you can configure a different location for the staging folder.
For more information, see Subclient Properties (General) - SQL Server Agent.
- We support backup of Tabular, Multidimensional and Data Mining modes of the SQL Analysis Services databases.