Deployment - Virtual Server Agent for Amazon
SnapProtect uses the following components to support data protection and recovery operations:
- CommServe host - Provides management, status, and reporting for protection operations. The CommServe user interface includes the CommCell Console and CommCell Browser. Ideally the CommServe library should be located in Amazon, but it can also be hosted externally.
- Virtual Server Agent (VSA) - The VSA can be installed on one or more machines or Amazon instances. Any machine where the VSA is installed can act as a VSA proxy to perform backups and restores.
- For backups, the VSA must be installed on an Amazon instance in each region to be protected. Each VSA proxy can protect instances in the same region.
- For VM conversion and restores, the VSA can be installed on an Amazon instance or on an external machine.
- MediaAgents - MediaAgents can reside in Amazon instances or on servers in the physical environment. MediaAgents on the VSA proxy instance might provide better performance.
- Web Console - If VM Lifecycle Management is configured, end users can use the Web Console to create and manage their own virtual machines. Administrators can create VM provisioning templates and policies to support self-service VM provisioning for end users.