Getting Started with the Virtual Server Agent for Amazon
Step 1: Before You Begin
- This page assumes you have already installed CommServe software. If not, refer to the CommCell Quick Start Guide.
Review possible deployment scenarios.
- Refer to the following information to learn more about the requirements and capabilities of the Virtual Server Agent for Amazon:
Step 2: Install the Virtual Server AgentReview each of the following topics to get started with the installation:
- Prepare the Installation on Windows Computers
Review general guidelines to prepare for the installation, which include configurations that your computer might need before the installation.
- Preinstallation Checklist for the Virtual Server Agent
Review agent specific guidelines to prepare for the installation, such as gathering the information that you must provide during the installation.
- Installation Methods
Select the installation method that is most appropriate for your environment.
Note: The CommServe host, MediaAgent, and VSA proxy must all be able to communicate with each other using one of the following connections:
- AWS Direct Connect - On premises components and the AWS instance are within the same network. No firewall configuration is required.
- AWS VPN - Only available if the AWS instance is accessible through VPC. On premises components and the AWS instance are within the same network. No firewall configuration is required.
- If you are not using AWS Direct Connect or AWS VPN for communication between on premises components and the AWS proxy instance, you can configure a SnapProtect firewall connection between the on premises components and the AWS proxy instance.
Step 3: Prepare for Your First Backup and Restore
- Open the CommCell Console.
- Configure a storage device.
Amazon provides Elastic Block Store (EBS) volumes for instances in the same zone. Older EC2 accounts provided instance store volumes, which are not supported for SnapProtect backups.
You can define SnapProtect storage libraries as on-premises media or cloud storage libraries.
For information about cloud storage libraries, see Cloud Storage - Getting Started.
- Optional: Configure a Storage Policy. See Storage Policy - Getting Started.
- Create a virtualization client for the AWS user account.
- Modify the default subclient or create a user-defined subclient.
- Optional: Decide whether to add the following functionality:
- To be notified of events that require attention, see Alerts and Notifications - Overview.
- To report and analyze critical data about your CommCell operations, see Reports Overview.
- To manage security, see User Account and Password Management - Getting Started.
Note: Storage blocks on EBS volumes that are restored from snapshots must be initialized before the block is accessed. This action can increase the time required to read and write data for the volumes, and significantly increase the time required for backups and restores. Amazon is working to resolve this issue. For more information, see Initializing Amazon EBS Volumes.