Basic Restore - SnapProtect for Microsoft Hyper-V
Before You Begin
Note: When using a Nutanix array and restoring from a backup copy or snap copy, ensure that the SAN policy on the host is set to Offline Shared.
Perform a Restore
It is recommended that you perform a restore operation immediately after your first full backup to understand the process.
The following section comprehends the steps involved in restoring a Virtual Machine.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Policies | Storage Policies.
Right-click the <storage policy> and click Properties.
Click the Copy Precedence tab.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Client Computers | <Microsoft Hyper-V Client> | Virtual Server | Hyper-V | defaultBackupSet.
Right-click the subclient that contains the data you want to restore and click Browse and Restore.
- Click the Advanced Options tab.
Select the MediaAgent that was used during the storage policy creation from the Use MediaAgent drop-down list. This MediaAgent should be the one you installed along with the Virtual Server agent.
Click View Content.
- Select the virtual machine under the backup set. Its entire contents will be automatically selected in the right pane.
Click Recover All Selected.
Ensure that you do not select the defaultBackupSet and select only one Virtual Machine under the defaultBackupSet..
- Click New Folder to restore the virtual machine to a new location.
Click in the Destination Path column and then click ....
Browse and select the destination folder.
You can monitor the progress of the restore job in the Job Controller of the CommCell Console.
- Once the restore job has completed, right-click the <backupset> and click View | Restore History.
- Click OK.
- You can view the following details about the job by right-clicking the job:
- View Restore Items
You can view them as Successful, Failed, Skipped or All.
- View Job Details
- View Events of the restore job.
- View Log files of the restore job.
- View Restore Items
Once the virtual machine is restored, it is automatically mounted to the Hyper-V Server of the specified client computer.
Congratulations - You have successfully completed your first backup and restore.
If you want to further explore this Agent's features read the Advanced sections of this documentation.