Performing a Backup
Perform a backup to capture data for all of the virtual machines in a subclient and write the VM data to a storage library.
Before You Begin
- Configure a virtualization client for the vCenter.
- Configure content and a storage policy for a subclient.
- A synthetic full backup requires at least two media drives on the storage policy used for the backup.
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > VMware > backup_set.
- Under the backup set, right-click a subclient and click Backup.
- In the Backup Options dialog, select the backup type:
- Full - Back up all data for the virtual machines selected for the subclient content.
- Incremental - Back up new or changed data since the last backup (of any type).
- Differential - Back up new or changed data since the last full backup.
- Synthetic Full - Create a synthesized backup that includes the last full backup and any subsequent incremental or differential backups.
When initiating a synthetic full backup, you can select Run Incremental Backup and then select Before Synthetic Full or After Synthetic Full to run an incremental backup immediately before or after the synthetic full backup.
- To modify default backup settings or specify advanced options, click Advanced.
For more information see Advanced Backup Options.
- Click one of the following:
- Immediate - Run the job immediately.
- Schedule - Create a backup schedule using the options selected for the job. Click Configure to specify the schedule.
- Click OK.
- From the main window of the CommCell Console, click Home > Job Controller to track the progress of the job.
Once the job is complete, you can view job details from the Backup History tab.
- Right-click the subclient and select Backup History.
- Click OK.
You can view the following information by right-clicking the job:
- Items that succeeded during the job
- Items that failed during the job
- Job details
- Media associated with the job
- Events for the job
- Log files for the job