Performing a Backup
You can perform a backup operation from the command line using a saved script or an XML template file.
For more information on command line parameters and XML elements, see Command Line - Syntax.
Before You Begin
You can use an XML file to provide input parameter values for commands. Use one of the following methods to provide XML input:
- Download the backup_template.xml file, modify it to match your backup requirements, and include it in the command line as shown in the sample procedure and examples for this topic.
- Generate a script and XML parameters file from the CommCell Console and save it on the computer where the backup will be performed.
See Parameters for Command Line Backups for more information about XML parameters.
- Log in to the CommServe host using the qlogin command.
- Navigate to the location where the .xml file is saved and execute the command with the saved .xml file:
qoperation execute -af backup_template.xml -appName 'Virtual Server' -clientName xxxxx -backupsetName xxxxx -subclientName xxxxx -backupLevel FULL
- Verify the status of the job using the following command:
qlist job −j jobID
- Once the job completes, log off from the CommServe host using the qlogout command.
|Performing a Full Backup||
qoperation execute -af backup_template.xml -appName 'Virtual Server' -clientName client1 -backupsetName backupset1 -subclientName subclient1 -backupLevel FULL
|Performing an Incremental Backup||
qoperation execute -af backup_template.xml -appName 'Virtual Server' -clientName client1 -backupsetName backupset1 -subclientName subclient1 -backupLevel INCREMENTAL