Creating a Subclient
To provide protection for a specific set of virtual machines, create a subclient. A user-defined subclient can identify virtual machines that have the same Service Level Agreement (SLA) or that need to be backed up on the same schedule.
Note: The default subclient is preconfigured to back up all virtual machines for the virtualization client that are not protected by other subclients. To change that behavior, see Modifying a Subclient.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > VMware.
- Right-click a backup set and click New Subclient.
- Provide basic information on the General tab:
- Enter the Subclient name.
- By default the Transport Mode for VMware is set to Auto; the transport mode is selected automatically depending on the proxy computer used for backup and the virtual machines included in the backup.
To use a specific transport mode, select one of the following:
- Hot Add
- NBD SSL
For more information, see Transport Modes.
- Identify virtual machines to back up:
- Click the Content tab.
- Click Browse.
- Navigate to one or more virtual machines and select them.
Note: If you have deployed MediaAgents, VSA proxies, or vCenter on virtual machines, filter those virtual machines from VSA backups. (If you need to protect files on those virtual machines, install in-guest agents on those virtual machine to perform file backups.)
- Click OK.
The selected virtual machines are displayed in the Contents of subclient list.
You can also define rules to select or exclude virtual machines based on various criteria; see Virtual Machine Discovery and Filtering.
- Click the Storage Device tab.
- Select a Storage Policy.
- Click OK.
- In the Backup Schedule dialog box, click Do Not Schedule, and then click OK.