Backing Up Failed Virtual Machines
You can perform an incremental backup to back up only failed virtual machines. If some parts of a virtual machine backup job are not completed successfully, the job status is "Completed w/ one or more errors." You can view the Job Details dialog box and select the Virtual Machine Status tab to check the status of specific VMs.
- By default, a VM is only included in a backup of failed VMs if the VM is marked as Failed in the Virtual Machine Status tab, but you can also choose to include partially successful VMs.
- If the status for a specific virtual machine is "Partial Success," some information for the VM was successfully backed up, but other information was not. Failed items for a VM contribute to the Failed Objects count in the Backup Job Summary Report.
After a backup job that includes failed VMs, you can resolve the issues for virtual machines that failed and then run an incremental backup job to back up only those virtual machines.
Note: This option is available only for streaming backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > instance > backup_set.
- Start the backup from the subclient or backup set:
- From the subclient, right-click the subclient and then click Backup.
- From the backup set, right-click the backup set and click Backup All Subclients; then click Yes to confirm.
- In the Backup Options dialog box, verify that Incremental Backup is selected (the default).
- Click Advanced.
- On the Data tab of the Advanced Backup Options dialog box, perform the following actions:
- Select Backup failed VMs only (Virtual Server).
- To include VMs that completed with partial success, select Include partially successful VMs from previous job.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to start the backup job.