Configuring System State Backups Using the Windows File System Agent
Backing up the system state data is essential for Full System Recovery. The default subclient backs up the system state data along with file system data during a Full backup. However, you can also create a separate subclient to back up the system state if you do not want to modify the content of the default subclient.
About This Task
- You can have only one subclient within a backup set that backs up the system state.
By default, system state data is backed up along with file system data by the default subclient during a Full backup. However, If you change the content of the default subclient, system state will not be backed up when a subsequent backup is performed. A message appears that says the Backup system state option will be disabled. To continue, click Yes.
Note: Backing up the system state is essential for full system recovery, so consider your disaster recovery planning when you exclude the System State from the default subclient content.
- You can also create a separate subclient to back up the System State.
- By default, System State is backed up with a full backup. For more information on System State components, see System State Components for the Windows File System Agent.
- VSS services are mandatory to perform System State backup if you are using Windows Vista or later versions.
- You cannot perform System State backups on virtual nodes of a cluster.
- When a system state backup is interrupted by factors such as the Operation Window, the backup operation starts all over again and does not resume from the point of interruption.
- From the CommCell Console, expand Client Computers > client > File System > backup_set.
- Right-click the appropriate subclient and click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the basic settings for the subclient:
- In the Subclient Name box, type the name of the subclient.
- On the Content tab, add the content to be backed up, and select the Backup System State check box.
By default, Only with Full Backup check box is selected. If you want to back up system state during incremental backups, clear this check box.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name. To create a new storage policy, click Create Storage Policy and follow the instructions in the storage policy creation wizard.
- Click OK.
The new subclient backs up the system state of the client computer. System state data is removed from all subsequent backups of the default subclient.