Configuring Multiple Data Streams for the Windows File System AgentThe File System Multi-Streaming feature uses multiple data streams per subclient for backup jobs to distribute the subclient content to all the streams, transmitting them in parallel to the storage media.
About This Task
- A subclient whose data is secured by using three data streams, uses more of the available network resources, and can complete in as little as one third the time that the same data would require by using a single stream.
- Do not enable multi streaming if you have multiple mount points pointing to the same physical drive. If you use multiple streams for a backup job or have multiple copies of data, then the restore operations also use multiple streams.
- Restore by job uses the same number of streams that you configure for the subclient.
Important: The number of streams configured in the storage policy must be equal to or greater than the value entered in the Number of Data Readers box.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > File System > backup_set.
- Right-click the appropriate subclient and click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the basic settings for the subclient:
- In the Subclient name box, type the name of the subclient.
- On the Content tab, add the content to be backed up.
- Click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Subclient Properties dialog box, click the Performance tab.
- On the Performance tab, specify the number of data streams:
- Select the Allow multiple data readers within a drive or mount point check box
- Enter the number of data streams in the Number of Data Readers box.
- Click OK.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name to associate with the subclient.
Tip: To create a new storage policy, click Create Storage Policy and follow the instructions in the storage policy creation wizard.
- Click OK.
What to Do Next
Perform a backup of the subclient. For instructions, see Performing Backups for the Windows File System Subclients.